Friday, February 11, 2011


Jan McCutcheon
English 48B
Journal for Takaki



Author Quote: “Condemning abolitionism as ‘Niggerology,’ many Irish immigrants were willing to support the war only to preserve the Union.”



Internet Quote: “Ron Takaki was one of the most preeminent scholars of our nation’s diversity, and considered “the father” of multicultural studies. As an academic, historian, ethnographer and author, his work helped dispel stereotypes of Asian Americans” (http://www.asianweek.com/2009/05/27/remembering-ron-takaki).



Summary: Takaki describes the terrible conditions the Irish fled from in Irland and the conditions they found once reaching America (if they survived the trip, which many did not). He also describes how, once here they found themselves competing with African Americans for low wage labor jobs and how they took on the bigotry on their oppressors.



Response: I knew some of the information about the Irish leaving Ireland after the potato blight and I knew they struggled when they reached America. I’m Scotch-Irish. I’m not sure how many generations ago my family came to America. I do know great grandfather was a farmer, his sons worked in the coalmines, my father worked in a steel mill, and so each generation did a little better financially. Still, no one in my family has a 4-year college degree. If I ever finish, I will be the first. So I can see how the generations struggle from a disadvantaged position and each one tries to make a better life. What I did not know, and was shocked to learn, is how the Irish treated African Americans. Takaki makes a good point about how the Irish, Chinese, and blacks were pitted against each other to fight for jobs and survival. We saw that in all our immigrant stories, how there always seems to be some group to come along to do the job cheaper. It is essentially what our country is built on, even today, where jobs are moved to cheaper and cheaper labor markets to support our standard of living and ability to own cheaper consumer goods.


The article by Katrina Irving seems to be adding another layer to the immigrant story by adding female gender. It’s not only a scary immigrant “other,” but a super scary out-of-control-sex-having-child-bearing-female other who will keep replicating. Like in the movie Alien. Run for your lives!

1 comment:

  1. 20/20 "If I ever finish, I will be the first." Wow! That in itself makes quite an immigrant saga.

    ReplyDelete